GtkCTree problems

First of all, tree_unselect_row signal isn't sent after removing the last
item from tree.

And a problem .. I want to have some widgets updated every time row is
changed, and the widget updating depends on using row's data. If I
grab tree_select_row signal, creating the first node selects it
immediately in gtk_ctree_insert_node(), so tree_signal_row is called and
row's data is still NULL -> my widgets aren't updated correctly.
Tried using gtk_clist_freeze()/..thaw(), but it didn't help.

Any ideas how to fix this?