Re: [gtk-list] Re: How to use a gpointer?

At 02:22 PM 05/03/1999 +0100, you wrote:
>Tim Janik <timj@gtk.org> writes:
>> gint     is merely an alias for the system's int and guarranteed
>>          to be >= 4 bytes in size, signed.
>
>This is a contradiction in terms.  The system's int is not guaranteed
>to be >= 4 bytes in size.

On 80x86 architecture machines, an int has often been only 16-bit. Whether
it is 16 or more bits has to do with the internal registers of the CPU
chip. When I used to port some Unix utilities to MS-DOS I more often than
not had to deal with programmers who tried to stuff pointers in to an int.
I always considered this bad practice (assuming an int and pointer were the
same size) not to mention it was a big pain in the a.. to have to deal with.

Cheers!

Internet:kcozens at interlog.com   |"What are we going to do today, Borg?"
      or:ve3syb at rac.ca          |"Same thing we always do, Pinkutus:
Packet:ve3syb@va3bbs.#scon.on.ca.na|  Try to assimilate the world!"
#include <disclaimer/favourite>    |              -Pinkutus & the Borg