GdkImage vs. GdkPixmap

While planning my work in progress, I realized that I needed to be able to
tell what color is being shown at a particular point in a pixmap.  However,
the only function I see that gives that is gdk_image_get_pixel, which has no
counterpart for pixmaps.  So I was wondering, what is the difference between
Images and Pixmaps, and is there a way to get the color at a pixel in a
pixmap?  I would switch to using an Image, but I also need the drawing
functions for pixmaps.

TIA,
katre
katre@mousetrap.c64.org