GtkOptionMenu - how to force active item "front"

Sorry if this is a newbie question, my GUI experience is rusty (can you
say Apple][GS).

I am working on learning Gtk+ the "easy" way (I am using Perl/Gtk), and
have run into a problem.  Depending on the value in a config file, I need
to set the proper GtkRadioMenuItem in a GtkOptionMenu active.  I can use
set_state() or activate() to toggle the right item, but I would like to
also have that item be the visible item when the menu is drawn, or, if
necessary, after an update of some sort is performed.  C code is okay in

TIA

--
Leslie M. Barstow III  | http://www.servtech.com/~phoenix/
phoenix@faerealm.com   |    Linux and Apple][GS links:    computers/