new application

Hi,
    I am creating a new application. It is a spec file
generator. Currently it reads in an existing spec file and
writes out a spec file (it reads in better than it write out so
far). I have a few questions.

1) is there any way with a text widget that I can get a
horizontal scroll bar? Is this something that is in the works?

2) when I start up the application there is no text in the text
widgets, how do I set the initial font and colors for this
widget, without inserting text into them?

3) I have gnome on my system and als gtk/themes. How do I
overide the colors for the themes. Currently I have a greyish
background with black text. I want a lighter grey (or maybe
whitish) background so I can read the labels.

4) Are there any composite text widgets out there already?
(vscroll, hscroll, text area in a frame ?)

5) How about composite entries with labels?

any help  is appreciated thanks
Joe