GtkText and Colour

Hi!

I've been having some trouble with the GtkText box.  Does anyone know
whether it is possible to discover/check the colour of a particular
character within the box?  For example, if the GtkText box contained the
string "abcdefgh", how would I check what colour the e was?
Also, is it possible to change the colour of a particular character
withing the GtkText box without actually deleting it and reinserting it
with gtk_text_insert() in a different colour?

Thanks for your help,
Aaron

--
...Unix, MS-DOS, and Windows NT (also known as the Good, the Bad, and
the Ugly).