Selectiveley overlaying drawing area (using GdkRGB)

Hi,

I have some code which draws lots of (semi-random) dots on
the screen. Right now I draw dot by dot, using GdkRGB. Could
this be optimized to draw entire lines where only the new points are
drawn and the non-used points are transparant? How would this
be done?

Alternativele, can someone point me towards some sample
code which does this (or something similar using partially
transparent lines).

Thanks
--> Robert