Largest pixmap?

Hey folks,

I have a little app. that I'm going to call "pfield slider."  As a pun,
I'd like to have a nice image of a baseball player sliding into home
plate.  I've got the image, have converted it into .xpm format with xv.
And I'm doing the following to load it:

  style = gtk_widget_get_style( window );
  pixmap = gdk_pixmap_create_from_xpm(window,
&mask,&style->bg[GTK_STATE_NORMAL],"./image.xpm");
  image = gtk_pixmap_new( pixmap, mask );
  gtk_widget_show( image );
  gtk_container_add( GTK_CONTAINER(window), image );

But my app segfaults.  I have some other boxes and stuff in the window,
but I've commented them out and still get a segfault.

Some questions:

	- is there an easier way to display an image?
	- is there a limit to how large an image we can display?
	- can an image be displayed w/i a box?

Thanks,

DT
--
Technical Director, Virginia Center for Computer Music
Programmer / Analyst, Dean's Office (School of A&S)