GTK Themes: shadow and state

I've been working on a GTK theme, and quickly ran into a roadblock:
it seems you can't mix-and-match shadow and state very freely.
Specifically,
the following code, combined with a basically stock gradient theme,
doesn't work properly:

    image
      {
        function        = OPTION
        recolorable     = TRUE
        state           = NORMAL
        shadow          = IN
        overlay_file    = "radiochecked.png"
        overlay_border  = { 0, 0, 0, 0 }
        overlay_stretch = FALSE
      }
    image
      {
        function        = OPTION
        recolorable     = TRUE
        state           = NORMAL
        shadow          = OUT
        overlay_file    = "radiounchecked.png"
        overlay_border  = { 0, 0, 0, 0 }
        overlay_stre      }
    image
      {
        function        = OPTION
        recolorable     = TRUE
        shadow          = IN
        state           = PRELIGHT
        overlay_file    = "radiocheckedactive.png"
        overlay_border  = { 0, 0, 0, 0 }
        overlay_stretch = FALSE
      }
    image
      {
        function        = OPTION
        recolorable     = TRUE
        state           = PRELIGHT
        shadow          = OUT
        overlay_file    = "radiouncheckedactive.png"
        overlay_border  = { 0, 0, 0, 0 }
        overlay_stretch = FALSE
      }

Specifically, the first block with state NORMAL and shadow IN, doesn't
show up.

OK, I thought, I'll remove the state NORMAL, since the PRELIGHT of
the shadow IN should handle it. No go - now the proper image shows
up for radio buttons when shadow is in, but no prelight functions.
What gives? I've looked for GTK theme documentation on the web
but have been unable to find it. Can anyone help?

Please CC: hoserhead@bigfoot.com all responses as I'm not on gtk-list.
Thanks.

Joe Drew
http://www.woot.net