1.3?

I've seen a few messages lately that have mirrored some of my own issues
(eg. the text widget sucks, and there is a problem or two with clists,
etc.).  It seems that Owen is very well aware of the flaws in GTK+ at the
moment, and has some plans to correct them.

When will the 1.3 tree start?

Will there be a post anytime in the near future that will give us some
idea what changes are in store for 1.4 (so all the lamers can flame Owen,
piss him off and make him quit (joke... seriously, I don't feel competent
yet to be too much help with the toolkit itself, but I would be happy to
give some feedback about how I use GTK and how I think the changes might
affect me.  Also, I might be talked into helping out with the 1.3/1.4
documentation)?

Are there any plans to fold some GNOME development back into GTK+?  One of
the nice things that has happened over the past year with Qt and KDE is
that some of the nicer things that were in the kdelibs have been
implemented as part of Qt by the Troll folks.  There is now a move afoot
to clean stuff up for KDE2.0 and deprecate the things that are
parallelled.  A specific example of where I would like to see this in
GTK+ is the Canvas widget.  It seems that almost everybody favours the
Canvas widget over the GTKDrawingArea.  One of the main reasons I've
chosen GTK+ over Qt is that I have the freedomto develop free or
proprietart software either one under Windows or Unix and have it be
source portable (although the Windows version has a ways to go before this
is practical).  Unfortunately, as it presently stands, if too much of the
cool stuff happens within the GNOME libs at the expense of people
developing for GTK, it reduces the utility of it for me and possibly
others.

Lastly, is there any chance that there will ever be a printing widget (a
la the file selection widget).  I realize that this would probably be a
bear to implement, but it sure would be nice for rapid development?

Thanks for listening!

  =   Rob Huffstedtler          |     We now return to our regularly     +
  +   (931) 596-3560            |        scheduled programming           =