Re: [gtk-list] Re: The Programmer's FAQ ? (was : Re: alignment oddity)

On Thu, 03 Jun 1999 08:08:36 -0600, gtk-list@redhat.com (Joe Pfeiffer) wrote:

>    4. A simple autoconf+automake example for GTK programs (been there, done
>        that, have the T-shirt).
>
> Here's a contribution (actually for Gtk--).  I figure FAQ answers
> should be of the ``do this'' variety, and if they want to know what
> any of the commands do they should look at the docs.
>
> % autoscan
> % cp configure.scan configure.in
>
> add macroes to configure.in:
> AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE(xdl, 0.1)
> AC_PROG_CXX

Also edit configure.in and remove macros that deal with ANSI C tests
because you're using C++ which is a superset of ANSI C++. If you're using
C++, consider using AC_LANG_CPLUSPLUS. Remove all macros that deal with
finding gtk headers or libraries and use
"AM_PATH_GTK(1.2.0,,AC_MSG_ERROR(xdl 0.1 needs GTK))" instead. I don't
know if there is an autoconf macro for Gtk--, if there is, put it in.

> % aclocal
> % autoconf
> % automake --foreign --add-missing Makefile

Or for non-gcc compilers that don't have the automatic dependency
generating option:

  automake --foreign --include-deps --add-missing Makefile

> % ./configure
> % make

To complete your example, the Makefile.am looks like:

bin_PROGRAMS   = xdl
xdl_SOURCES    = xdl.cc foo.cc bar.cc
INCLUDES       = @GTK_CFLAGS@
xdl_LDADD      = @GTK_LIBS@