Widget sizing

Can someone point me in the right direction for getting some
control on the size of a widget?  What I want is to have a
GTK_CLIST widget and have it start out a certain size but
within a scolled window in case the list is longer.  As an
example I may want it to be the proper width for the data
and tall enough to hold 10 rows.  If there are more than 10
rows, the scrolled window will allow the user to scroll
through them.

Right now I'm using gtk_widget_set_usize on the scrolled
window and that seems to work but how to get the pixel sizes?
I've tried adding up the returned optimal size for each column
but its too small.  I've tried using gtk_get_child_requisition
to see what the clist is asking for and its too small.  Or
perhaps the gtk_widget_set_usize is wrong.  Since I'm setting
the size of the scrolled window and it has a scrollbar maybe
I need to take that into consideration.  If so then where do I
get that size?  It would seem to make more sense to me to call
usize on the clist widget but that doesn't seem to work.

I would think in general that you would be putting clists into
scrolled windows and its either too bad that it isn't handled
better sizing wise or else I'm missing something.

Any help would be appreciated!

--
Brad Pepers
Linux Canada Inc.            Home of Linux products in Canada!