Re: [gtk-list] gtk for Irix > 1.0.6?

On Fri, 23 Jul 1999 14:07:18 -0400 (EDT), John C Atkeson wrote:
>   Hello, I am trying to find a recent version of the Gimp ToolKit for Irix,
> greater than the old version I have, 1.0.6.
>
>   So far I've seen references on the web as high as gtk 1.2 for Irix but no
> luck finding an actual place to download it.  Even SGI's own site doesn't
> seem to have it.

That's because nobody packaged it yet. The package is a bit peculiar: it
has to run on irix 6.2 and greater, and the build process needs some
tricks to ensure that (so I am told).

>   Does anybody know of a link to a *recent* version of gtk for Irix?

No, but it's very straightforward to compile it yourself. Get yourself GNU
make (SGI make is too braindameged to be useful) and a C decent compiler.
Both SGI MipsPRO C as well as gcc-2.8.1 will do. Oh, and you also need
perl 5 (/usr/bin/perl5), IIRC.

If you want to compile using MipsPRO C, use:

  setenv CC cc

If you don't set CC, it will use gcc-2.8.1 (if available). If you don't
want debug information in the libraries, use:

  setenv CFLAGS "-O2"

Configure (read the instructions), compile (using GNU make) and install
glib. You have to be root for installing, or otherwise you have to fiddle
with LD_LIBRARY_PATH, LD_LIBRARYN32_PATH, and path. Now configure, compile
and install gtk, and your done. Easy, istn't it?

Erik

Phone: +31-15-2785859  Fax: +31-15-2781843  Email J.A.K.Mouw@its.tudelft.nl