Re: [gtk-list] Re: Compiling error with Gtk- - 1.0.1

On Tue, 20 Jul 1999 18:15:43 -0400 (EDT), Wenhao Meng wrote:
> Can you please tell me where I can find gcc 2.8.1. I have not been able to
> fine the site.

Gcc 2.8.1 can be found at ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/gcc/ and at various
mirrors of ftp.gnu.org worldwide. You also need libstdc++ (available at
the same ftp site) if you want to be able to compile C++ programs. If some
old program needs libg++, you also need that one. Maybe you even need a
newer version of the binutils too.

Egcs information can be found at http://egcs.cygnus.com/ .

WARNING: if you download the tar files, you have to compile gcc-2.8.1
and/or egcs-1.1.2 yourself. This is NOT a trivial job, expect things to go
wrong, compilers choosing the wrong assembler and/or linker,
incompatibilities between C++ libraries, etc. YMMV, of course. IIRC,
RedHat comes with gcc-2.8.1 and egcs-1.1.2 RPMs, so installing those will
be much easier and much faster.

Speaking about gcc and egcs: gcc-2.95 (formerly known as ecgs-1.2) will be
released Real Soon Now [tm], did anyone try a gcc-2.95 prerelease snapshot
on some real-world code?

Erik

Phone: +31-15-2785859  Fax: +31-15-2781843  Email J.A.K.Mouw@its.tudelft.nl