Displaying image using Gdk/Gtk

Hi there,

I'm currently trying to write a program to display bitmap file using
gdk/gtk.

What I have tried so far is: after extracting the bitmap info header
and the pixel streams, I create a new GdkImage using 'gdk_image_new'
(the 'Visual' parameter required by 'gdk_image_new' was determined by
using 'gdk_visual_get_system'). Then I set the other attributes
(GdkImage.bpp, GdkImage.bpl and GdkImage.mem) manually as they r not
pass as parameters when creating the GdkImage. With that, I proceed to
create a GtkWidget with 'gtk_image_new' (passing the GdkImage as
parameter) and add it to a container for display. The result is a
window with the image size but without the image.

If anyone out there knows the correct way of displaying an image? Pls
let me know, thanks!!