Gtk--: RFyC: gtk-- experiences (1 year of usage)

Hello,

I've put some of my experiences into a html file and would like to
receive your comments about this. Perhaps one of the gurus has a better
proposal for some problems at hand.

   Christof

PS: RFyC should mean Request For your Commnents.
PPS: Of course you might take this document to your Gtk-- WebSite. It
will become part of glade-- at cvs.gnome.org (subdirectory docs).
Title: Some assorted Gtk-- experiences
$Id: gtkmmtips.html,v 1.1 1999/01/26 12:43:50 christof Exp $

Some assorted Gtk-- experiences

Appendix: Original Quotes

Havoc Pennington about the push_back problem
The bug is that the copy constructor should be private. There's no way you
should be able to do this. It's *incredibly* inefficient - that's a large
object you're copying. With much hassle and Gtk changes it could maybe be
made to work but you don't want to do it. You are probably getting a
segfault because the default copy constructor is just copying all the
internal pointers from one object to the other, and then one of the
objects (thinking it's the only object using the pointer) deletes one of
the pointers. Probably when the temporary's destructor is called if
nothing else.

There's no way to write C++ without pointers, especially with Gtk
underneath. If you don't want to use them and don't care much about
efficiency, you should probably choose a higher level language like Guile,
Perl, etc.

Tero about the push_back problem Havoc about signal connection
On Mon, 2 Nov 1998, Christof Petig wrote:

> while compiling a really simple program with gtkmm signals (current CVS
> and older versions checked) I ran into the strange requirement to have
> insert_connection in each class connecting to signals.
>
> This can't be right!

Classes that use signals have to derive from Gtk_Signal_Base.