Re: [gtk-list] Imlib 1.9.0 question

On 20 Jan, Andreas Tille scribbled:
->  Hello,
->
->  if this is not the right place to ask Imlib question please tell
->  me where to ask.  I didn't found any other place.
->
->  1. Tracing the Imlib 1.9.0 sources I detected a change in loading/saving
->     image files.  Up to 1.8.2 a hhard function was called.  Now there
->     is a pointer to a function which is called to load the image.
->
->     I suppose that the sense behind it is to geve the user the chance
->     to define its own loading/saving routines to read/write special
->     chunks in PNG or tags in TIFF, etc.
->
->     But there isn't any documentation how to tell Imlib about the
->     user defined function.  Could someone explain me how it works?
->
->     It is from great interest for me, because I recently use a modified
->     Imlib loading routine to read special chunks/tags and would like
->     to go a clean way.

these changes are not 100% finalised - 1.9.2 is imminent - ned to clean
this up - notice all the loaders are now .so's - but there isn't a
"pluggable" api to them - i don't expect a program por user-level
plugin system till 2.0 - this changed merely to save memory.

->
->  2. At present time it is not possible to use Imlib without X or
->     GDK initialized.  I would like to have a chance to use the Imlib
->     functionality off line (the way convert of ImageMagick does).
->     That's the second reason why I did my own loading routine.
->     I would like the way that loading/saving and some image
->     manipulation functions could work without initialized display.
->     This could cause only problems with XPMs but this could be easily
->     avoided.
->
->     The initialisation of the display has to be done before rendering
->     the images as pixmaps of course.

Imlib 2.0's design currently has all the code delayed - ie all init's
and loads are delayed till the last possible second (for example - whne
loads the image header, if the plugin allows this, so it just detects
width, height, image format and depth etc.. but does nto decode the
image data - the image data is decoded in a second pass just before the
data is actually needed by rendering or exporting of the data). the
same can be done for display initialisation.

->  3. Since I used Imlib 1.8.2 I've got SIGSEGVs ofter manipulating the
->     rgb_data of an imlib structure.  For instance I used my own
->     routine to mirror images.  Switching from 1.8.1 to 1.8.2 lead to
->     SIGSEGVs in this routine.  Using Imlibs own routine helped to avoid
->     the SIGSEGVs but I have to do certain image manipulation on the RGB
->     data which can't be done with Imlib functions.

did you change the rgb_data pointer? if you did you most certainly will
have done some nasties - yes i know - it  should be opaque. i'm fixing
all this in 2.0

->     Was there any change in the internal Imlib structure???

you may chang the datat rgb_data points to but not the pointer... :)

--
--------------- Codito, ergo sum - "I code, therefore I am" --------------------
raster@rasterman.com       /\___ /\ ___/||\___ ____/|/\___  raster@redhat.com

              \|/ ____ \|/  For those of you unaware. This face here is in fact