problems compiling gtk+-1.1.11,12

I'm trying to compile gtk+ on my box running Linux 2.0.35.  After
configuring and compiling glib and running ldconfig, when I run configure
for gtk+, I notice that one of the lines is:

	checking for catalogs to be installed...  de fr nl pt ja sv pl no

and that the Makefile created contains the line:

	CATALOGS =  deNONE frNONE nlNONE ptNONE jaNONE svNONE plNONE noNONE

When I run make, I get the error message:

	*** No rule to make target `deNONE', needed by `all-yes'.  Stop.

thanks in advance, Chuck
Chuck Han                              CIFE, Terman Eng. Ctr.
csh@galerkin.stanford.edu              Building 550, Room 556N
http://www-galerkin.stanford.edu/~csh  Stanford University
fax: (650) 723-4806                    Stanford, CA  94309