Re: [gtk-list] Re: ItemFactory anyone?

>  b) I somewhere heard that GCC relies on the fact that (void *) fits in an
>"int" datatype anyway.

No, this is not true.

>  c) Alpha really should have int/gint 64-bits wide. It's pure 64-bit
>CPU/system so why it would mess with anything smaller?

Alpha has support for 32-bit quantities as well.  Often an int doesn't need to
be 64 bits wide and to make it so would just waste space.  Since int is the
most common data type it makes sense to keep them reasonably small so that you
get best use of caches and databus bandwidth.

Casting a pointer into an int and back is going to go wrong sooner or later.
If you use an unsigned long int you increase your chances of getting away with
it, but it's still not a good idea.

p.