Re: [gtk-list] Re: ItemFactory anyone?

Jan Kratochvil wrote:

> > >   Oh my god, why just don't cast the needed pointer (it WILL be probably pointer),
> > > to "guint"? Like in the following example:
> >
> > Oh my god, why don't you just go break your code on the Alpha then?  :)
> > You'll get a friendly little "segmentation fault" when you assign a
> > 64-bit
> > pointer to a 32-bit guint.
> >
> > Shaw Terwilliger
>
>   At first I should say that I'm in no way an Alpha expert or multi-platform geek
> (only x86 unfortunately, only some shared access to Linux/Sparc). But:
>
>   a) I expect that guint/gint maps to "unsigned int"/"int" on all platforms.
>   b) I somewhere heard that GCC relies on the fact that (void *) fits in an "int"
>      datatype anyway.
>   c) Alpha really should have int/gint 64-bits wide. It's pure 64-bit CPU/system
>      so why it would mess with anything smaller?
>
>   But I agree that it maybe isn't the strict all-world portable solution. But
> on all normally used machines does this cast causes any problems? I don't know
> about any platfowm but read my first sentence. :-)
>
>                                         Lace
>
> --

Why not have the callback data, which is common to all entries, point to
an array of pointers. Use the integer to index into the array of
pointers?

Todd.
   | Todd Dukes                      E-MAIL:  tdukes@ibmoto.com |
   | Motorola Somerset                  Phone:   (512) 424-8008 |
   | MS OE70                                                    |
   | 6300 Bridgepoint Parkway Building #3                       |
   | Austin, Texas 78730                                        |