gtk_init crashes

I just installed gtk-1.1.11 on a Sparc Solaris 2.6 machine running
whatever version of X they have.  (I'm currently experimenting with using
KDE as my desktop environment, if anyone think that matters.)

Any gtk program that I compile (e.g., the samples from the tutorial)
crash immediately in gtk_init(&argc, &argv).  Here's a trace:

#0 0x0 in ?? () #1 0xef4d3588 in XRegisterIMInstantiateCallback () #2
0xef5ccec0 in gdk_im_open () at gdkim.c:391 #3 0xef5bacfc in gdk_init
(argc=0xef5f56e0, argv=0xefffe150)
    at gdk.c:417 #4 0xef6b6420 in gtk_init (argc=0xefffe14c,
argv=0xefffe150)
    at gtkmain.c:196 #5 0x11034 in main ()

I'm sure the program testgtk exhibits this as well, but I don't
understand it.  (It's a shell script, right?  I get a core file labelled
as being from testgtk, but unless there's a problem with the shell (which
is conceivable) I don't see how that works.)

Is this a known problem?  gtk-1.0 works just fine on similar small
programs.

Here's the output of uname -a:
SunOS matsun17 5.6 Generic_105181-03 sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-60

--Dylan Thurston
  thurston@math.unige.ch