Re: [gtk-list] Re: gtk+-1.2.0 compile problems

On Sat, 27 Feb 1999, Patrick O'Neil wrote:

> I first ran "CFLAGS=-O6 -fno-exceptions;./configure
> --with-glib=/usr/src/gtk/
> glib-1.2.0"

Those CFLAGS may well be causing problems. -O6 is a buggy and unstable;
even if you get code to build with it, you will probably get random
crashes and weirdness. configure compiles a lot of programs to check
various things, so -O6 conceivably confuses configure.

-fno-exceptions is a C++ flag, so it makes no sense here AFAIK.

For gcc, the GNU toolset will choose the optimizations considered "best"
by the experts so it is probably best to leave the defaults.

(it's worth trying anyway - start with an untouched tarball.)

> -lX11   /usr/src/gtk/glib-1.2.0/libglib.la
> /usr/src/gtk/glib-1.2.0/gmodule.la
> -lm
> Live child 0x08099840 PID 24337
> libtool: link: `/usr/src/gtk/glib-1.2.0/gmodule.la' is not a valid
> libtool archive
>
> So now it has a problem with gmodule.la and, yes this file does exist
> in the ../glib-1.2.0/gmodule subdirectory as libgmodule.la.

libgmodule.la should be in $(prefix)/lib/libgmodule.la, not
glib-1.2.0/gmodule.la as the libtool line there says.

Instead of using --with-glib, just be sure glib-config is in your path and
let Gtk figure things out on its own.

> I must say, of all the apps, etc, that I have compiled, gtk itself and
> any and all apps that depend upon it have been the most trouble.  I have
> yet to find one that will simply compile...and I have done nothing wierd
> with my gtk and glib installations in the past.

Well you are doing some weird and possibly broken things it looks like.
Just don't fool with it, it works by itself with no intervention.

As for particular apps, yes many authors do not package them correctly
(they may not use gtk-config as they should). It's also common that they
rely on a version of Gtk other than the one you have; the 1.2 release
should resolve that once app authors catch up.

Havoc