Re: [gtk-list] Re: continuously drawing without events?

Hrvoje Niksic wrote:

> "Christian B. Westermann" <christian.westermann@phim.unibe.ch> writes:
>
> > Is it possible to solve that problem without events, i.e to run a
> > function in the background that updates the plot with the incoming
> > new data after gtk_main() is called?
>
> If the "incoming new data" arrives through a file descriptor, look at
> the "Monitoring IO" section of the tutorial.  If it arrives at random
> intervals, setup a timeout.

At the moment I cannot be more specific. All I know is that a device
stores a lot of data in a file, and I want to plot the data "as
real-time as possible ". Until now I only bothered with the drawing
possibilities in gtk so I did't saw this Monitoring IO section, which
will surely be helpful.
Thanks so far.
Chris

Ch. B. Westermann

University of Bern
Physikalisches Institut
Sidlerstrasse 5            phone: +41(0)31 6314417
3012 Bern                    fax: +41(0)31 6314405
Switzerland                email: christian.westermann@phim.unibe.ch
 			   http://phimcasymir.unibe.ch/casymir/cas_SS.html