Re: [gtk-list] Re: Displaying JPEGs

 > From gtk-list-request@redhat.com Tue Feb 16 12:49:56 1999
 > Subject: [gtk-list] Re: Displaying JPEGs
 >
 > As far as I can tell, the fastest possible thing to do is to directly
 > manipulate the XImage structure underlying a GdkImage.  For those of
 > us who need to squeeze out every possible cycle from our machines, but
 > still want to work within the X protocol, this seems to be the only
 > option.

I don't doubt this would produce the absolute fastest results,
but it would be at the expense of portability or the amount of
code to maintain.

I'm not trying to do animation or something with severe timing
requirements, so I'm willing to live with pretty good performance.
But I'm getting a ratio of over 100:1 between doing it the 'right'
way and doing it the fast way, and that seems a bit excessive.

I saved your suggested code for future reference. Thanks!

I may consider doing something like that if absolutely necessary,
but I have to say that I am somewhat cautious because of a footnote
I read in Xlib Programming Manual, section 6.4 which says
"anyone thinking of trying to write their own routines to manipulate
images should get access to the Xlib code that manipulates images.
This code will make you think again."

Larry