problems with jpeg

I have successfully installed glib and gtk+, but am having trouble getting
Gnome to install.  I traced it back to the fact that Jpeg support was not
compiled into imlib (and also tiff, png).  I was able to install the PNG and
TIFF packages (I am building all from source), but even after installing
jpeg, imlib's configure still can't find the library.  I have what i believe
is the latest version (v6b) and am using Gtk+ 1.1.15 and glib 1.1.15  Any
suggestions?