Re: [gtk-list] Re: Linking problem with FreeBSD

> On 08-Feb-99 Marc van Kempen wrote:
> > [lots of stuff about elf deleted]
>
> [ more stuff snipped ]
>
> > I'm not sure about my linker version, I can't get to the sources right
> > now.
>
> ld --version is our friend, my guess, since the linker is from 1994 or
> something, it will be the same

Already tried that,

(marc@nietzsche) > ld --version
ld: invalid command option `--version'

I'm afraid the aout gnu tools are really old ;-) Are you sure the
elf version is the same (i.e. that old)?

> > But it was my understanding that one of the major reasons to switch
> > to elf was that we then could use the latest GNU stuff again, since
> > they dropped aout support some time ago, and the 2.2.x range was still
> > using the old tools.
>
> *nods* Ye are correct in that.
>
> > Anyway, it looks like Owen's proposal seems to make the most sense, but
> > I think the method should work for all aout platforms. Though I must
> > admit that I'm not sure about 2.2.8 (+).
>
> 2.2.8 is a.out. ELF supported only started since 3.0 and onwards.

I know, but I wasn't sure if some things had changed in the linker or
compiler, I suppose not.

> > (Jeroen do you know someone to talk to about this, who knows what the
> > deal is with aout?)
>
> OK, throw the ball up in -hackers, else try to contact John Polstra,
> although the man's very busy. My understanding and use of FreeBSD (and
> other BSD's started somewhere when 2.2.6 came out, and I have been
> following CURRENT from the start actually, so I'm more focused on ELF).

I know John has been busy with the ELF stuff, I was more thinking of
someone in the ports section to help or so, but it never hurts to
try -hackers ofcourse. I'll try -ports first.

> > All I can say is that when gtk-config was still specifying -lgtk-1.1
> > I could link without problems, and now it doesn't see the shared
> > libraries anymore and links with the static ones.
>
> Have ye looked at man ld, man ldconfig, man dlsym at least to get some
> background info? That got my interest sparked in the ELF process. Please
> let me know about the a.out process as soon as ye find something out Marc
> (I monitor -hackers though, plus a dozen others).

I have not yet investigated in depth, though I'm sure that:

	1. -lgtk-1.1 works
	2. making a symlink from libgtk-1.1.so.14.1 to libgtk.so.14.1 works,
	   though this is not the preferred solution because of versioning
	   reasons.
	3. storing the so name in aout shared libraries doesn't work and
 	   is the reason why 2. is needed.

I have just sent a message to -ports, I'll keep you updated.

Regards,
Marc.

Marc van Kempen                 BowTie Technology
Email: marc@bowtie.nl            WWW & Databases
tel. +31 40 2 43 20 65
fax. +31 40 2 44 21 86         http://www.bowtie.nl