./configure fails on Slackware Linux

Hi All,

I tried yesterday to build glib-1.1.14, and today to build glib-1.1.15, in slackware 3.6 (2.0.35), but with slighly different
results.

With 1.1.14, the problem was that it coudn't find libthread, whereas in 1.1.15, it couldn't find
libpthread.

in /lib I have the following:

piu01/hoosd [hoosd] 512 > ls -l /lib/libpth*
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root     root        49492 Oct 24 23:09 /lib/libpthread-0.7.so
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root           17 Jan 22 06:12 /lib/libpthread.so.0 -> libpthread-0.7.so

The problem seems to be that I don't have libpthread.a

Should I need the archive, or should the shared library be sufficient?

I have appended the output of the  ./configure --host=i486-linux  command, and the tail end of the
config.log.

It may be worth mentioning that the output of the ./configure command without the --host option
said "checking host system type... configure: error: can not guess host type; you must specify one"

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

David C. Hoos, Sr.

Output of  ./configure --host=i486-linux  command:

checking for a BSD compatible install... /usr/bin/ginstall -c
checking for working aclocal... missing
checking for working autoconf... missing
checking for working automake... missing
checking for working autoheader... missing
checking for working makeinfo... found
checking for ranlib... ranlib
checking for gcc... gcc
checking whether the C compiler (gcc  ) is a cross-compiler... no
checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
checking for ld used by GCC... /usr/bin/ld
checking if the linker (/usr/bin/ld) is GNU ld... yes
checking for BSD-compatible nm... /usr/bin/nm -B
checking command to parse /usr/bin/nm -B output... yes
checking for _ prefix in compiled symbols... no
checking whether ln -s works... yes
checking for object suffix... o
checking for gcc option to produce PIC... -fPIC
checking if gcc PIC flag -fPIC works... yes
checking if gcc supports -c -o file.o... yes
checking if gcc supports -c -o file.lo... yes
checking if gcc supports -fno-rtti -fno-exceptions ... yes
checking if gcc static flag -static works... -static
checking if the linker (/usr/bin/ld) is GNU ld... yes
checking whether the linker (/usr/bin/ld) supports shared libraries... yes
checking command to parse /usr/bin/nm -B output... yes
checking for /usr/bin/ld option to reload object files... -r
checking dynamic linker characteristics... Linux ld.so
checking for objdir... .libs
creating libtool
checking whether to enable memory checking... no
checking whether to enable memory profiling... no
checking for gcc... (cached) gcc
checking whether the C compiler (gcc -g -O2 ) works... yes
checking whether the C compiler (gcc -g -O2 ) is a cross-compiler... no
checking whether we are using GNU C... (cached) yes
checking for a BSD compatible install... /usr/bin/ginstall -c
checking for extra flags to get ANSI library prototypes... none needed
checking for extra flags for POSIX compliance... none needed
checking for ANSI C header files... yes
checking for vprintf... yes
checking for atexit... yes
checking for on_exit... yes
checking size of char... 1
checking size of short... 2
checking size of long... 4
checking size of int... 4
checking size of void *... 4
checking size of long long... 8
checking for working const... yes
checking for __inline... yes
checking for __inline__... yes
checking for inline... yes
checking whether byte ordering is bigendian... no
checking for float.h... yes
checking for limits.h... yes
checking for pwd.h... yes
checking for sys/param.h... yes
checking for sys/poll.h... yes
checking for sys/select.h... no
checking for sys/time.h... yes
checking for sys/times.h... yes
checking for unistd.h... yes
checking for values.h... yes
checking for lstat... yes
checking for strerror... yes
checking for strsignal... yes
checking for memmove... yes
checking for vsnprintf... yes
checking for strcasecmp... yes
checking for strncasecmp... yes
checking for poll... yes
checking for sys_errlist... yes
checking for sys_siglist... yes
checking for sys_siglist declaration... yes
checking for fd_set... yes, found in sys/types.h
checking for wchar.h... yes
checking for wctype.h... yes
checking for iswalnum... yes
checking if iswalnum() and friends are properly defined... yes
checking for an implementation of va_copy()... no
checking for an implementation of __va_copy()... yes
checking whether va_lists can be copied by value... yes
checking for dlopen... no
checking for dlopen in -ldl... yes
checking for dlsym in -ldl... yes
checking for preceeding underscore in symbols... no
checking for dlerror... yes
checking for pthread.h... yes
checking for thread implementation... posix
checking for pthread_attr_init in -lpthread... no
checking for pthread_attr_init in -lpthreads... no
checking for pthread_attr_init in -lc_r... no
checking for pthread_attr_init... no
checking for __d10_pthread_attr_init in -lthread... no
checking for __pthread_attr_init_system in -lpthread... no
configure: error: I can't find the libraries for the thread implementation
  posix. Please choose another thread implementation or
  provide information on your thread implementation.

tail end of config.log after issuing ./configure --host=i486-linux  command:

configure:4816: checking for pthread.h
configure:4826: gcc -E  conftest.c >/dev/null 2>conftest.out
configure:4895: checking for thread implementation
configure:4914: checking for pthread_attr_init in -lpthread
configure:4933: gcc -o conftest -g -O2 -Wall   conftest.c -lpthread   1>&5
ld: cannot open -lpthread: No such file or directory
configure: failed program was:
#line 4922 "configure"
#include "confdefs.h"
/* Override any gcc2 internal prototype to avoid an error.  */
/* We use char because int might match the return type of a gcc2
    builtin and then its argument prototype would still apply.  */
char pthread_attr_init();

int main() {
pthread_attr_init()
; return 0; }
configure:4955: checking for pthread_attr_init in -lpthreads
configure:4974: gcc -o conftest -g -O2 -Wall   conftest.c -lpthreads   1>&5
ld: cannot open -lpthreads: No such file or directory
configure: failed program was:
#line 4963 "configure"
#include "confdefs.h"
/* Override any gcc2 internal prototype to avoid an error.  */
/* We use char because int might match the return type of a gcc2
    builtin and then its argument prototype would still apply.  */
char pthread_attr_init();

int main() {
pthread_attr_init()
; return 0; }
configure:4997: checking for pthread_attr_init in -lc_r
configure:5016: gcc -o conftest -g -O2 -Wall   conftest.c -lc_r   1>&5
ld: cannot open -lc_r: No such file or directory
configure: failed program was:
#line 5005 "configure"
#include "confdefs.h"
/* Override any gcc2 internal prototype to avoid an error.  */
/* We use char because int might match the return type of a gcc2
    builtin and then its argument prototype would still apply.  */
char pthread_attr_init();

int main() {
pthread_attr_init()
; return 0; }
configure:5039: checking for pthread_attr_init
configure:5067: gcc -o conftest -g -O2 -Wall   conftest.c  1>&5
/tmp/cca287551.o: In function `main':
/home/hoosd/GTK/glib-1.1.15/configure:5061: undefined reference to `pthread_attr_init'
configure: failed program was:
#line 5044 "configure"
#include "confdefs.h"
/* System header to define __stub macros and hopefully few prototypes,
    which can conflict with char pthread_attr_init(); below.  */
#include <assert.h>
/* Override any gcc2 internal prototype to avoid an error.  */
/* We use char because int might match the return type of a gcc2
    builtin and then its argument prototype would still apply.  */
char pthread_attr_init();

int main() {

/* The GNU C library defines this for functions which it implements
    to always fail with ENOSYS.  Some functions are actually named
    something starting with __ and the normal name is an alias.  */
#if defined (__stub_pthread_attr_init) || defined (__stub___pthread_attr_init)
choke me
#else
pthread_attr_init();
#endif

; return 0; }
configure:5089: checking for __d10_pthread_attr_init in -lthread
configure:5108: gcc -o conftest -g -O2 -Wall   conftest.c -lthread   1>&5
ld: cannot open -lthread: No such file or directory
configure: failed program was:
#line 5097 "configure"
#include "confdefs.h"
/* Override any gcc2 internal prototype to avoid an error.  */
/* We use char because int might match the return type of a gcc2
    builtin and then its argument prototype would still apply.  */
char __d10_pthread_attr_init();

int main() {
__d10_pthread_attr_init()
; return 0; }
configure:5132: checking for __pthread_attr_init_system in -lpthread
configure:5151: gcc -o conftest -g -O2 -Wall   conftest.c -lpthread   1>&5
ld: cannot open -lpthread: No such file or directory
configure: failed program was:
#line 5140 "configure"
#include "confdefs.h"
/* Override any gcc2 internal prototype to avoid an error.  */
/* We use char because int might match the return type of a gcc2
    builtin and then its argument prototype would still apply.  */
char __pthread_attr_init_system();

int main() {
__pthread_attr_init_system()
; return 0; }