Need reference: GdkWChar?

     Hello,
	I'm trying to learn about character sets.

	I see that a GdkWChar is 4-bytes, and probably represents a "wide
character".

	But I don't know when someone would use wide characters instead of
a normal character, or what this has to do with Unicode, or i18n, or any
of that.  Specifically, I'm working on the GtkText widget and it offers
the option to use a GdkWChar (as well as gchar), and I'm trying to
understand the implications of that.

	A quick search on Google didn't offer much help.  If someone can
point me to an RFC or something, I would be very grateful.

Thank You,
Derek