Re: [gtk-list] Re: Window manager window placement and X modifiers/states

>things to your window size. But if you don't have allow_shrink turned
>on and he window manager isn't doing something weird, all your widgets
>will get their requested size.

true. we agree - widgets need more smarts so they can make a decent
size request.

>set_usize() (basically) only alters the size request, and thus doesn't
>get you anywhere with this problem though. Fixing the widgets will
>also solve the problem...

also true. i wasn't referring to pathological conditions though. i
meant more then general idea that widgets don't need to compute their
size request based on their contents, just their "decorations"
(frames, borders, etc). its remarkably easy with GTK, if you don't
understand this feature, to end up with tiny instances of widgets, and
incredibly easy to generally end up with widgets that are too small.

since we need to get them to make a more accurate size request, and
since they aren't going to do that for several versions to come, if
then, i feel OK about making it for them using
gtk_widget_set_usize_to_display_given_text().

--p