(newbie) Setting foreground colors for GCs

Hi all,

I have been trying to write a simple program that shows a red rectangle on the screen on top of all other windows.  Everything works except for the setting of the red color, I have created a color struct with the Red value set to full intensity but the color shown on screen is white.  Can anyone please tell me where I am going wrong, is there something I have omitted?

#include <gtk/gtk.h>
#include <gdk/gdkx.h>

int main (int argc,
          char *argv[] )
{

 GdkGC *ikgc;
 GdkColor ikcol = { 0, 65535, 0, 0 };

 gtk_init (&argc, &argv);

 ikgc = gdk_gc_new (GDK_ROOT_PARENT ());

 gdk_gc_set_function (ikgc, GDK_COPY);

 gdk_gc_set_subwindow (ikgc, GDK_INCLUDE_INFERIORS);

 gdk_gc_set_foreground (ikgc, &ikcol);

 gdk_draw_rectangle (GDK_ROOT_PARENT (), ikgc, TRUE, 100, 100, 100, 200);

 gtk_main ();

  return(0);
}

Thankyou for your time.