RE: [gtk-list] Some basic questions

The RPM version is placed in the /usr directories (/usr/bin, /usr/lib, etc.) while the tarball is placed in /usr/local by default. The tarball however contains a .spec file that is used by RPM to create a package. you should check out the man page for the exact parameters to build a package (and probably also a devel-package) from the tar.gz file directly.

Once you have those rpms you can update the old packages using the -U flag.

You can also force uninstallation of the rpm version, but well.. RPM's are just so easy to use... I dont think you want that ;-).

regards,

Arjan