[gtk-list] getting the size of a drawing area

I think it is the widget's responsibility to set widget->allocation
during a size_allocate callback (or inherit said callback). I can't
say i have mastered sizing issues, but the following may work:

set policy on the GtkWindow to allow shrinking and growing

seth