Verifying fonts

I've been developing a package that uses the font selection dialog, which
does the standard thing to get a font name, and then loads it and starts
to use it.

The problem is that one of the users of my package has complained that
sometimes he will pick a font, and click ok, and the program will segfault.
The font handling code that I have written seems to be ok, and maybe I was
being naive, but I assumed that the font selection box would only make
available options that were useable, but I guess not.

Is there a way to verify that the font is loadable/useable using GTK+?
In the interim, I've been using XQueryFont and a few other xlib calls, but
I'd rather do it in GTK+ to keep things consistant.

Any suggestions?

--
David Allen
http://opop.nols.com/