From: Matt Long [mailto:matt.long@wcom.com]
Sent: Friday, August 27, 1999 10:51 AM
To: gtk-list@redhat.com
Subject: [gtk-list] NEWBIE: Static Linking

I'm sure this is a stupid question, but I just don't know the answer.
Yesterday Aaron, Faby posted a message on why his app was so big and how
to compile it so that it was dynamically linked. The answer that he came
up with sounded like it might be related to my question. I would like to
be able to ensure the opposite. I want to ensure my application is
statcially linked. I thought the -g had something to do with that, but
apparently (according to the man page) -g is just for debugging info. I
also noticed in the man page that there is a linker flag there called
-static. So what I was wondering is, what is the default action when
compiling gtk+ apps with gcc. Do they link statically automatically or
do I have to specify some kind of flag (-static, or something)?

Thanks in advance.

-Matt