i wanna write a custom widget

hello

I need to write a custom widget.
It should behave like a box and thus allow me to pack labels into it.
It should also display custom graphics(square, and circle of different colors)
under the labels.

I have read the GTKDial and tictactoe examples but, i can't manage to mix them.

what class should i inherit from ?  what method should i override?

regards

Antoine

ps: does anybody know when and where the book "GTK+/Gnome Application
Development" by Havoc Pennington will be available?