Problem creating "scale" next to "slider" (eg., vscale)?

Hey folks,

I've been wrestling with this one for a while.  I'm trying to place a
numeric "scale" next to a vscale (slider).  I'm doing so by means of box
packing.

My solution has been to hacke up a method where I create a bunch of
labels and pack them into a vertical box which roughly corresponds to
the values for the vscale in question.  I then place that box next to
the vertical slider.

I've included an example at:

	http://presto.music.virginia.edu/topper/pslider.gif

Check out C_Freq and M_Freq.  It doesn't really work.  The boxes don't
seem to pack correctly at the endpoints (in this case at the bottom).
But sometimes they do ... no logic here.  Why does my last scale value
(eg., 14.00) pack like that?  It's the same loop that created the other
labels (eg., 5-13.06).

Moreover, things get screwed up when resizing.

Is there a better way?

Thanks all,

Dave Topper
--
Technical Director, Virginia Center for Computer Music
Programmer / Analyst, Dean's Office (School of A&S)