Replacing an entire widget on the fly

How would you replace an entire widget?  Say I have some text widget in
a table, or just in a window, and I want to take that out, and replace it
with a button, or even just a different text widget?

What I tried was to gtk_destroy_widget(widget_in_question) then recreate it,
then show it, then pack it back into the box, but packing doesn't seem to
work after the window has been established, and even so, I wouldn't be
able to pack it back into the same place.  (gtk_box_pack_(start|end) would
put it at the start/end, wouldn't it?)

Any help/pointers to specific functions would be appreciated.
--
David Allen
http://opop.nols.com/