Re: pthreads error while configuring

Ferry van Steen <fsteen@casema.net> writes:

> Hi there, I'm getting an error about not being able to i nstall threads.
> I have the output attached.

> checking for pthread.h... yes
> checking for thread implementation... posix
> checking for pthread_attr_init in -lpthread... no
> checking for pthread_attr_init in -lpthreads... no
> checking for pthread_attr_init in -lc_r... no
> checking for pthread_attr_init... no
> checking for __d10_pthread_attr_init in -lthread... no
> checking for __pthread_attr_init_system in -lpthread... no
> configure: error: I can't find the libraries for the thread
> implementation posix. Please choose another thread implementation or
> provide information on your thread implementation. You can also run
> 'configure --disable-threads' to compile without thread support.

To my best of my knowledge I think this problem occurs
because Slackware (and possibly some other libc5-based
distribution) shipped with a pthread.h but without
a real functioning POSIX threads distribution.

configure should be a bit smarter, and once it realizes
that you don't have a functioning thread library,
just go ahead, pretend it didn't see the pthread.h
and continue without threads.

You can safely follow the above instructions and
run configure --disable-threads. Few GTK+ programs
require threading support, and they wouldn't run
on your system anyways.

Regards,
                                        Owen