How do you change the range of a GtkHScale widget?

I need to change the upper and lower bound of the scale, such
that when I enter a value (in a textarea) the value is set, and the
bounds are moved so the value is possible.

I have tried the following,
gtk_adjustment_clamp_page(GTK_ADJUSTMENT(_adj), getLowLimit(),
getHighLimit() );
where _adj is the adustment I created the scale from, and where
getHigh/LowLimit
finds the correct values.

The problem: The range of the widget doesn't change.

I use the following to change the value of the scale.
gtk_adjustment_set_value(GTK_ADJUSTMENT(_adj), V);

I am probably doing something wrong - but what?

TIA

/Peter