Install problems

I'm having trouble installing gtk1.2 on my system.  Actually the install itself
doesn't come up with any errors nor does it complain or warn me of anything.
But I'm trying to install two other programs (GNUCash and Gaim) which rely on a
newer version of GTK than I had (whatever came installed with Caldera Openlinux
2.2).  I checked in the config.log of gaim to see why it wasn't installing and
it said that the header version (1.0.5) did not match the library version
(1.2.2).  Is the install program not installing the header files correctly?  Or
perhaps has caldera installed the previous headers in an unexpected spot and I
need to uninstall them? I'm rather at a loss of ideas, so any help would be
appreciated.  Thanks

--
Jim Lindstrom
jlindstr@uiuc.edu