From: Rich Shepard [mailto:rshepard@appl-ecosys.com]
Sent: Monday, August 02, 1999 12:08 PM
To: McKisson, Shawn
Subject: Re: [gtk-list] libdl.so.1 being used?

On Mon, 2 Aug 1999, McKisson, Shawn wrote:

> I recently upgraded to glibc and I am trying to install gtk+-1.2 for the
> first time.
> So I first downloaded and built glib, did the make check, and installed it
> after all the tests passed.
> When I tried to ./configure gtk+, however, it halted with an error about
not
> having glib correctly installed. I tracked this down in the config.log,
and

Shawn,

  After installing glib you need to make it visible to gtk+. The way to do
this is to update the shared library database by running (as root)
/sbin/ldconfig.

  This program looks at all the directories in /etc/ld.conf (I think it is)
and puts all the libraries in a place where they're visible to the programs
that need them.

  Do this and you'll be able to run ./configure from the gtk+-1.2.3
directory.

Rich

Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President

                       Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc.
 + 1 503-667-4517 (voice) | + 1 503-667-8863 (fax) |
rshepard@appl-ecosys.com
              Making environmentally-responsible mining happen. (SM)