gtk-config problem

Hi.  I am trying to compile an application I downloaded (gtkicu) and
have run into the problem of not having a gtk-config script.  (as far as
I can tell).  I installed the latest RPMs for Gnome (the Base packages)
just today, which should give me gtk 1.2.1 right?  I have not installed
the development (Devel) packages.  Is this what I need to do to get a
gtk-config?  I tried to install those packages but got the error:
failed dependencies:
 libungif-devel is needed by imlib-devel-1.9.5-1
when trying to install all the Devel packages at once (rpm -Uvh *)
I'm not trying to make this into a Gnome message....maybe that is where
i should be looking for help, not sure.  If anyone has any suggestions,
please let me know.
I am running a intel pentium system with redhat 5.2.

Scott Webster
7sw3@qlink.queensu.ca