Random x io error when linking with pthreads

Hello all,

        Last night I started learning pthreads because I'd like to use them in
one of my apps.  I've written, compiled, and run console apps fine using my new
threads knowlege.  Now when trying to incorporate it into my Gtk+ app I am
getting random crashes.  I even took out all of the thread calls in my app, so
it was basically a non-threaded app, and just added gthread to my gtk-config
line and I still get the following error:

Gdk-ERROR **: an x io error occurred
aborting...
IOT trap/Abort

It usually happens when I call gtk_main_quit() but it has happened at random
places in both the threaded and unthreaded app.  Does anyone have an idea about
why this may be happening, or what I can try to do to fix it?  Thanks for any
help.

Scott