Re: [gtk-list] Re: IRIX prob; get/change menu item label prob

> Generated sources are also not a problem. I've worked on packages with
> generated sources (mostly flex+bison generated stuff) that compiled
> without a problem with vendor supplied make utilities. As long as there is
> a rule that tells make how to generated the source, nothing goes wrong.
>
> The automatic generated dependency stuff is however a problem, because
> automake assumes that every C compiler is a GNU C compiler and just tells
> the compiler to use the -MD flag to generate dependencies. As a
> workaround, you can use the "--include-deps" for automake.

Hmm, I saw somewhere an article that claimed we're all
using make in such a way that gives us these kinds of problems. The real
problem was with SUBDIRS thing - there should be only one makefile for the
whole project for dependencies to really work... :) It was something about
make cannot work correctly with only part of the dependency tree of the
files... I.e. should use make's include directives instead of running
make recursively... => recursive calls of make always gives situations when
dependencies does not work...
(http://gd.tuwien.ac.at/softeng/Aegis/rmch/recu-make-cons-harm.html)

Though, I dont know how automake handles this issue...

--
-- Tero Pulkkinen -- terop@modeemi.cs.tut.fi --