gtk_button_pressed()/released events

I am using gtk_button_pressed(), gtk_button_released() and
gtk_button_clicked() to activate some buttons I have using the keyboard.
The problem is if the mouse pointer happens to be over the button being
activated I get two events, one for the button_clicked function and the
other for the combination of the pressed, released events and the mouse
being over the button. Any ideas on the best way to make this work
correctly? I can eliminate the button_released event but that leaves the
button in the pressed state when the mouse is hovered over it.

TIA
--
		Stephen