Re: [gtk-list] Re: I want to understand (and new questions)

On Wed, 14 Apr 1999 12:05:33 +0200, gtk-list@redhat.com (Lars Hallberg) wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 14, 1999 at 04:56:08PM +0900, Ionutz Borcoman wrote:
>> Robert_Gasch/PeopleSoft@peoplesoft.com wrote:
>> >
>> > 4) Using C++ as the base would make other language bindings more difficult
>> > to write (??)
>> C++ mangles names in the object code generated, while C not. I have
>> understood that this is the reason why bindings to C code is simpler to
>> made. Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong.
>
> And the namemangling is not standarised so moduls from different compilers
> might not link toghether - Thats a pain with 3:th party non sourcecode
> librarys (but open source is a solution to that ;-).

Sorry, Ctrl-S was meant for emacs, not for the mailer ;-)

Anyway, name mangling will not be standardized. Even better: it is not
allowed for different C++ compilers to have the same name mangling! Why?
Because of the implementation. If two compilers implement
overloading/classes/templates different while having the same style of
name mangling, your program would still link, but things would go terribly
wrong when you run it. Therefore, it is mandatory that C++ compilers have
their own name mangling style.

Erik

Phone: +31-15-2785859  Fax: +31-15-2781843  Email J.A.K.Mouw@its.tudelft.nl