Re: [gtk-list] Re: widechar support

Philip Brown wrote:

> > If you locale is set to a CJK locale, then all of the text
> > related widgets (Label, Entry, and Text) support international
> > input and output.
>
> when you say "international", do you mean "support 8 AND 16 bit chars
> randomly", or do you mean "now stuck in Chinese mode"?

I can display mixed Japanese and Romaji text using a fontset and setting
the locale correspondingly. If you have a glibc 2.1 system, then it is
even better. For the glibc 2.0, the only way I can set the locale is by
using the environment variables. This makes me unable to change locales
after program has been started. With glibc 2.1 I can set locale with the
setlocale functions. Haven't yet try, but I suppose I can now change the
locale on the fly, during run-time.

Take a look at:

http://borco-ei.eng.hokudai.ac.jp/~borco/vdk/langdrill.html

When I will have time I will update the code to automake/autoconf and
add support for the locales from glibc 2.1.

By the way, langdrill is somehow an child of kdrill (through a long
inheritance list :-).

Ionutz