How do you eliminate redraw flicker on GtkDrawingArea resize?

Just in case it was not clear from the subject; I know how to
eliminate redraw flicker when the window size remains the same.

What I do not know is how to prevent the flickering that happens while
the widget is being resized.  I assume that the flickering is the
background being painted before the expose event?  If so, how do I
stop the background being painted for either the entire widget, or
just the exposed area of the resized widget?

I have had a look at the source for the GnomeCanvas widget, but I not
really sure what to look for.  Is the background automatically painted
by the server?

- Dave