how to see .dir and .file in file selection

First of all, I want to appologize if this is frequenly asked.  There
does not seem to be a mechanism to search the archives of this list.
Archives of a list as busy as this one are pretty useless unless you can
search them.  If I am wrong about searching, please do point me to the
search engine!

Anyway, I am wondering what one has to do to enable the viewing of dirs
and files that start with a . in the gtk file selection dialogs.  There
must be a user-configurable switch somewhere for this, right?

Thanx,
b.

--
Brian J. Murrell                              InterLinx Support Services, Inc.
North Vancouver, B.C.                                             604 983 UNIX