Spin button problem

Hi:

I am using a spin button to adjust the number of ordinary (gtk-) buttons
in a matrix of buttons. I have preallocated a fixed number
of the matrix buttons and when I get the "value_changed" signal
from the spin button widget (or more concretely the associated
adjustment widget) I hide or show those buttons accordingly.

The problem is that the hiding/showing of these button apparently
takes so long that the spin button will have triggered a new
"value_changed" signal by the time I am done.
This means that an attempt to increment the spin button value by 1 will
actually increment it by say 4.

How can I fix this problem?

Robert